viernes, 12 de abril de 2013

Holy Week in Dublin.

 Holy Week in Dublin. By Caitlin.

¡Hola chicos! 
He querido hacer una entrada con lo que Caitlin nos enseñó de su viaje a Dublín. Ahora conocemos un poquito más ese pequeño, pero precioso país, que es Irlanda. 
Gracias Caitlin.

I had an incredible time there!  Dublin is a city rich with history ranging from the Celtic tribes to Viking influence to producing some of the most famous authors to date.  I went to many museums and learned a lot about Ireland and Dublin which was so fascinating and thoroughly enjoyed my time there.  I unfortunately was unable to photos of what I saw inside the museum since it was prohibited but I will describe the highlights of my trip as best I can.

My first day there I went to Trinity College which is well-known for its library and Book of Kells exhibit.  The Book of Kells is a manuscript of the Four Gospels from the New Testament from the year 800.  It is considered to be one of the most important Irish manuscripts because the technique and decorations are so precise and so masterfully crafted.  It is the epitome of Celtic design including Celtics knots and interlacing.  The book is also a wonderful example of calligraphy.  It was written on vellum which back then was calf-hide and inks and dyes that they used were made of semi-precious stones like lapis lazuli for that rich blue.  

Trinity College and Library








oldest harp found in Ireland

walking around Dublin after Trinity College visit
The next day I went to the National Photographic Archive which had some very interesting and entertaining photos of Ireland and the Irish. I then went to the Christ's Church Cathedral, a church that is built upon Viking foundations and is one of the most important church's in Dublin since it is where the Archbishop of Ireland has his seat.  I then went to Saint Patrick's Cathedral, for obvious reasons! For lunch I had a wonderful shepard's pie made with steak and Guinness with a pint of beer made right from that pub (Porterhouse Pub).


 Liffey River runs right through the center of Dublin

shade structure near the National Photographic Archive

Outside of Christ's Church Cathedral


Inside Christ's Church Cathedral




Crypt below the cathedral

Outfits used in the HBO show, The Tudors, also filmed in this cathedral


Mummified cat chasing a mouse in the organ pipes of the cathedral


 Saint Patrick's Cathedral


inside the cathedral




My shepard's pie with a pint 

My third day there I went to the Chester Beaty Library, an extensive and thorough collection of manuscripts from all over the world.  I spent several hours there and learned much about book binding, calligraphy techniques, the evolution of print-making (with a press or by hand), and learned about the importance these texts had for the people that they served.  I really enjoyed looking at the Islamic manuscripts that this man, Chester Beaty, had collected as well as the Japanese scrolls.  I had a quiet lunch at The Stag's Head Pub and headed off to see the National Art Library and the Archaeology Museum.  The Archaeology Museum was a real treat because it housed so many interesting artifacts.  The prehistoric Ireland was the most fascinating because the people from that time (around 2000 BC) even went so far as to start working with metal.  Archaeologists founds "hoards" of treasures and gold that had been either hidden or were votive offerings deep within the bogs. It was incredible!  Unfortunately I could not take a photo of anything within these museums.

 Around Trinity College, on my way to the Chester Beaty Library
 Inside the Chester Beaty Library
 The Stag's Head Pub
Irish Whiskey
National Art Museum
Archaeology Museum

On my fourth day I walked around the shops right in the center of Dublin and also went to the James Joyce Center.  I am inspired to read some of his works, especially Dubliners, to see how he brings to life Ireland from the 20's.  He used characters that he observed and noticed everyday, according to the museum, so I am interested in his portrayal of people. That night I went to see an Irish Step Dancing show called Jig.  It was a great show because it discussed the history of the dance and showed the many styles within it.  I absolutely loved it and reminisced a lot about when I used to dance.  

Shops and shopping centers in Dublin





James Joyce Center


 "Jig," the Irish Step Dancing Show



Dublin at night

My last day in Dublin was Good Friday.   I was all set to go to the Guinness factory, or Storehouse as they call it but Good Friday and Christmas are the only holidays that pubs take a vacation.  So I went to the Dublin Writers Museum which I think was way more fascinating.  I had not realized how much of an impact the Irish have made on literature.  It was a really great museum and I would highly recommend it to anyone that is interested in literature.  After that I walked around and enjoyed the city.  I came back and packed and got ready to go to Trujillo.

Dublin Writers Museum








Pedestrian street



No hay comentarios: